Open enrollment for 2021 individual and family coverage ended December 15, 2020. In response to the COVID-19 public health emergency, a new open enrollment is available from Feb. 15, 2021 through Aug. 15, 2021. To change your medical or dental plan or to enroll in new coverage for the remainder of 2021, you’ll have to qualify for special enrollment.
The following will apply for the new open enrollment period:
- The open enrollment period is available if you are a current or new enrollee
- You will not be required to provide documentation of a life event to enroll or change plans
- You can add or remove dependents
- You can select any plan that is available in your service area
- You can enroll in a healthcare plan directly with us or via HealthCare.gov
- Coverage will be effective
The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 has expanded access to the ACA’s tax credits. Effective April 1, 2021, existing enrollees can re-apply via Healthcare.gov to find out if they qualify for tax credit changes.
New applicants to Healthcare.gov who enroll on and after April 1, 2021 will be able to find out if they qualify for additional tax credits upon initial enrollment.
Individuals who enroll during the COVID-19 Special Enrollment Period (Feb. 15. 2021 – Aug. 15, 2021) do not need a special enrollment life event to apply.
All changes are effective the first of the month after your application is received and approved.
Certain life events might qualify you for special enrollment. This means you can enroll in a health plan outside of the annual open enrollment period. Here are a few of the qualifying events that could make you or those you cover eligible:
- You have a newborn.
- You gained a spouse or domestic partner or you became a spouse or domestic partner.
- You lost healthcare coverage due to termination of employment.
- You lost healthcare coverage because you are a dependent who turned 26 and are no longer eligible to be covered by your plan.
- You lost healthcare coverage due to discharge from the military.
Learn more about special enrollment, including qualifying events, coverage effective dates and documents you’ll need to provide in order to enroll.